[reportlab-users] pdf417 barcodes

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Dec 31 08:19:10 EST 2008

Andy Robinson wrote:

> 2008/12/31 Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com>:

>> As the person who did most of the work/extensions after Ty Sarna contributed

>> the original work I can tell you we have not implemented 417. I did look at

>> the sf project, but the license is GPL and we could not use it directly as

>> our license is more liberal. I know this thing can produce postscript so it

>> is potentially usable with a translation layer.

for the record,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf417encode/ is LGPL
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf417.lib is LGPL or MPL 1.1

http://www.reportlab.org/devfaq.html is BSD

I have no idea what MPL is - does it play nice with BSD?

Could the authors release under BSD?

> Also, we only have a one-dimensional barcode reader. From ReportLab's

> end, we'd be happy to implement this (and DataMatrix too) if a

> customer is willing to pay the time costs, which are probably a couple

> of man-weeks. Various enterprise customers have enquired in the past

> but nobody has committed. Let us know if your employers need this

> badly enough ;-)

Well, my employer is PyCon - last year we got inquiries if the attendee name
tags could be scanned. scanner rental is around $300, I will be surprised if
we get 10 rentals. so even if we mark up the rental 100%, that only gives us 3k
to work with. Any interest in a booth at PyCon?

Carl K