[reportlab-users] Python 3000

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Dec 4 13:01:36 EST 2008

2008/12/4 Dirk Holtwick <dirk.holtwick at gmail.com>:

> So what are you planning? And what would be the roadmap and the milestones

> and when to expect them? Did someone already try to migrate and has

> experiences with this?

I think the safest statement is "we will do nothing for at least 3
months". That way nobody can criticise us for getting behind ;-)

Seriously, anyone wanting to work on it can have SVN access and I am
sure Robin will be playing around too. But a production-quality PIL
is a prerequisite. And we want to focus our limited time on
deployment, docs and other stuff already requested for the next 3
months.

Guido wants people to release "compatible" packages. The same code
base cannot serve Python 2.3-2.6 and Python 3.0 and we also don't have
the time for two major, diverging branches. So the real question
is whether we do a "modest" ReportLab 3.0 with the minimum necessary
changes; or (my preference) concentrate on creating the best library
we can on Python 3000 without the constraints of compatibility with
everything written before. It is a rare chance for a break with the
past.

Opinions most welcome, but my first paragraph is unlikely to change ;-)

- Andy