[reportlab-users] Python 3000

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Dec 4 10:05:36 EST 2008

Dirk Holtwick wrote:

> Hi,

> Python 3000 is out! This leads directly to the question what Reportlab

> planning about supporting this new major release of Python which is

> incompatible with Python 2.x?

> I tried to translate the TRUNK using the new "2to3" tool and the process

> worked fine without errors. But the a sample I tried did not work

> because of some errors regarding type checking. I could imagine that

> this could be quite a big task to get Reportlab compatible with Python3k

> though. Another problem could be that the PIL modules do not support

> Python3k yet too.

> So what are you planning? And what would be the roadmap and the

> milestones and when to expect them? Did someone already try to migrate

> and has experiences with this?

There is a branch devoted to this issue, but currently it hasn't been touched
for a while and when last I tried I still couldn't get the simplest of pdf
documents out. It is a major bind that the base type which we use to output pdf
is changed. This wouldn't have broken so much if utf8 had been used instead of
unicode, but the plan9's of mice and men gang aft astray as some do opine.