[reportlab-users] Is Reportlab Toolkit still live?

Nathan nathan.stocks at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 15:35:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Tim Roberts <timr at probo.com> wrote:

> I'm always amazed when I encounter this kind of sentiment, and it is very

> common in the open source world. We rag on Microsoft for releasing new

> versions every year with a bazillion features that we'll never use, but when

> an open source product reaches a state of maturity, we start to complain

> about it being abandoned.

I think you've misunderstood my question. The question was "is
reportlab an active project?" with a followup of "these are the
reason's I'm not confident that it's an active project by looking at
the web site." I didn't ask for more releases or for more features.

> In summary, the ReportLab toolkit does its job very well. The developers

> and maintainers are active on this mailing list, and will gladly answer

> technical questions.

Good. That's the information I was looking for. Thanks!

> Beyond that, I don't know what kind of development you

> would expect to see.

Given my first response above, responding to this question would be
nonsensical.

However, if your question were "what would you expect to see on a web
site of a typical active open source project," then my answer would be
"not something that appeared to have only had a couple of download
links updated since 2004." If no one wants to update the web site, I
don't really care much, but you shouldn't be surprised to get
questions about it from new or potential users reading about the "2-3
month" release cycle that only produced one _apparent_ release on the
site over the last four years (the release notes page lists latest
release as being in 2004, while the download page links to a 2007
release).

> (By the way, the Reportlab toolkit is one version of a product that the

> Reportlab team sells commercially, so as long as the company is still in

> business, the open source version will continue to be supported.)

Also good to know, thanks.

I really wasn't trying to complain, you know! I just wanted to make
sure that someone was really out there...

~ Nathan