[reportlab-users] Is Reportlab Toolkit still live?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Aug 6 15:19:21 EDT 2008

Nathan wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to the mailing list.

> Is Reportlab Toolkit still an active project? The release notes list

> the last release as being in 2004, the downloads page has links to a

> release in 2007, and the link to the user's guide on the download page

> is simply broken. The web page seems to have been mostly abandoned.

> http://www.reportlab.org/rsrc/userguide.pdf

> I'm just looking for a good pdf-generation solution that works with

> python, but I don't want to invest my time in reportlab if it has been

> abandoned. Should I be looking elsewhere, or is reportlab worth

> looking into?

I'm always amazed when I encounter this kind of sentiment, and it is
very common in the open source world. We rag on Microsoft for releasing
new versions every year with a bazillion features that we'll never use,
but when an open source product reaches a state of maturity, we start to
complain about it being abandoned.

Reportlab serves a rather well-focused purpose: it allows Python
programs to create PDF files. Once a project has reached a point where
it fulfills the purpose for which it was designed without major bugs,
why should there continue to be 6 releases a year? I, for one, don't
want to see gratuitous revolutions in the APIs I rely on.

In summary, the ReportLab toolkit does its job very well. The
developers and maintainers are active on this mailing list, and will
gladly answer technical questions. Beyond that, I don't know what kind
of development you would expect to see.

(By the way, the Reportlab toolkit is one version of a product that the
Reportlab team sells commercially, so as long as the company is still in
business, the open source version will continue to be supported.)

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.