[reportlab-users] Table of Contents and Style

Bradley Young young.bradley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 17:01:05 EDT 2008

Dinu,

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 6:11 AM, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de>
wrote:

> I agree that a single style might be easier in many cases. In other

> cases I can imagine having a need for different styles for different

> levels.

> I would also like to see a different TOC with more columns, e.g. in

> order to apply even more fine-grained styling to chapter numbers,

> compared to chapter titles. The current implementation does e.g. not

> allow seperate right-justified chapter numbers. That's probably some-

> thing I'll need to write myself.

> If you got more responses than me on that subject or have some other

> implementation, please let me know. I'm always curious for alterna-

> tive ReportLab implementations.

Agreed, but I think that we should optimize somewhat for the common case
(while not eliminating the case where there would be wildly different styles
per level). My suggestion was that there be an easily alterable "root"
style, which cascades to lower levels (but can be later modified as the
author sees fit). This would make it much easier to eliminate the dreaded
Times Roman :).

Another issue with the current format is that there is a fixed level of
depth available, and this should be made more dynamic.

I'll try to allocate enough round 'tuits to fire off a patch.

Bradley