[reportlab-users] Tkinter frame to pdf using ReportLab

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Fri Sep 14 12:50:27 EDT 2007

Roman Lespinasse wrote:

> I'm quite a beginner in python programming, and I realised a little

> app for my work.

> This application creates a Tkinter frame, with different entries,

> filled by the user.

> I'd like to be able to transform this frame to a pdf file, using

> reportlab, but I just didn't find a howto, or a clear explanation in

> the userguide.

> Can somebody help me in a way?

Although it is possible to take a snapshot of a window as an image and
embed that image into a PDF, the results are not very good, unless you
really need a screenshot to demonstrate how to use the app.

What you almost certainly want to do is create a separate function that
recreates the window using the ReportLab APIs. That way, you can use
fonts that are appropriate for the printer resolution (which is much
higher than the screen resolution), and place the text precisely where
you want it.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.