[reportlab-users] Pattern Fill in Graphs

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 31 11:06:38 EDT 2007

Marty Bonner wrote:

> Good Morning All,

> I have a report that has ooh'd and ahh'd the bosses, complete with a

> couple of pretty charts (1 Pie and 1 VerticalBar). The one issue brought

> back to me was that these reports will at some point have to be printed in

> black and white. As a result, I need a pattern fill on the charts. I've read

> the graph guide, barcharts.py, and piecharts.py (not saying I understood

> everything, but still..), and have been unable to find a solution. Is there

> something I've missed?

> Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

well shades of grey are certainly doable. I don't think reportlab supports the
underlying PDF pattern color spaces or haltones yet. I'm not sure how much work
would be required. I'm guessing we would have to either create a new colour
model or have some additional features on the either CMYK or RGB colours to
force the appropriate behaviour at final rendering.