[reportlab-users] Two Generic Questions

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Oct 30 19:02:57 EDT 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Tim Roberts wrote:

>> Exactly right. Those represent the RIGHT way to do things. "import

>> wx" brings in exactly one name into my global namespace. Until very

>> recently, most wxPython applications started out

>> from wx import *

>> which brought in THOUSANDS of new names directly into my global

>> namespace.

> Yup.

> If I understand you, it's the fact that there is no comprehensive

> reportlab namespace so we cannot do

> import rl

> (or something similar) and have everything available to us. Is this

> correct?

Yes, pretty much. It's a module philosophy thing.

> I'm trying to discover what I need to import to create tables and text

> using the canvas directly, rather than a platypus story. It's slow going.

It depends on how much you need to do. I create my Avery 5160 address
labels with nothing other than
from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas
from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import LETTER
from reportlab.lib.units import inch
because almost everything I need is to do in the canvas class., but I
certainly have scripts that use a lot more.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.