[reportlab-users] Wedge labels overlapping in pie charts

Nizam Sayeed ibnameen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 12:33:31 EDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:

> Nizam Sayeed wrote:

> > Hello all,

> > I wanted to know if there is a way to tweak the positions of wedge

> labels on

> > pie charts. I am generating some pie charts where the slices are quite

> small

> > and are back to back. Short of re-organizing the slice order based on

> the

> > size, is there a simple way to have reportlab space out the wedge labels

> > bit so as to prevent any overlap? Sample chart is attached. Thanks.

> > Best regards,

> > Nizam Sayeed

> This is quite a hard problem. We have some possible solutions including

> 1) hand labelling (or adjusting the positions of labels by hand).

> 2) set the chart.checkLabelOverlap attribute to 1 (this may help).

> 3) change the slice ordering mode ie chart.orderMode = 'alternate' note

> that

> this last will certainly alter the way in which the slices are laid out

> and it

> may be more difficult to do the legends etc etc.

> --

> Robin Becker

Thanks Robin. I will try the first two suggestions and see what happens. I
am already doing something similar to number 3. In my version, I alternate
the slices (small,large,small,large...) using a custom method that I have
which also returns colorNamePairs so that it can be fed to the legend.

-- Nizam