[reportlab-users] Wedge labels overlapping in pie charts

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Oct 26 11:11:30 EDT 2007

Nizam Sayeed wrote:

> Hello all,

> I wanted to know if there is a way to tweak the positions of wedge labels on

> pie charts. I am generating some pie charts where the slices are quite small

> and are back to back. Short of re-organizing the slice order based on the

> size, is there a simple way to have reportlab space out the wedge labels a

> bit so as to prevent any overlap? Sample chart is attached. Thanks.

> Best regards,

> Nizam Sayeed

This is quite a hard problem. We have some possible solutions including

1) hand labelling (or adjusting the positions of labels by hand).
2) set the chart.checkLabelOverlap attribute to 1 (this may help).
3) change the slice ordering mode ie chart.orderMode = 'alternate' note that
this last will certainly alter the way in which the slices are laid out and it
may be more difficult to do the legends etc etc.