[reportlab-users] RenderPM and TTF fonts

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed Oct 10 04:53:36 EDT 2007

Nizam Sayeed wrote:

> I saw an example in the code and did this:

> pdfmetrics.registerFont( ttfonts.TTFont( "Vera", "Vera.ttf" ) )

> But I am getting this error:

> Can't setFont(Vera) missing the T1 files? Originally

> exceptions.AttributeError: TTEncoding instance has no attribute 'vector'

> I guess it does not handle TTF fonts. So what is the solution when trying to

> display unicode text using RenderPM? I had converted my TTF font to Type 1

> using ttf2pt1 but it does not seem to preserve the unicode glyphs. I was

> getting this error when trying to use the converted font:

> 'utf8' codec can't decode bytes in position 10-12: invalid data

> What can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

the renderPM extension does support true type fonts. I suspect something is
wrong with your installation if there's no Vera font in the reportlab/fonts folder

this script runs fine on my machine

from reportlab.pdfbase import ttfonts, pdfmetrics
f=ttfonts.TTFont('Vera','Vera.ttf')
pdfmetrics.registerFont(f)

My reportlab/fonts folder contains the following related files

Vera.ttf
VeraBI.ttf
VeraBd.ttf
VeraIt.ttf