[reportlab-users] More bugs with Paragraph, with underlined links

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Tue Nov 6 17:04:30 EST 2007

On 06/11/2007, Dinu Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> In fact, I would really like to have a clean(er) Paragraph class that

> allows for Hennings hyphenation for a project with a deadline by the

> end of november. Probably I'll need to pray for it to be solved by

> then...

As a pragmatic atheist, I suggest coding instead of praying ;-)

Paragraphs are unclean internally, but very well tested in a wide
range of conditions, and changes here are highly likely to disrupt
almost every application out there. So we don't want to mess with the
existing implementation just now.

But if you or someone else can produce something new which has a clean
algorithm to pack and split inline objects, we'll certainly look at it
and see if we can help. I suspect that the right way is to make a
clean linear packer and then rewrite it in C.

- Andy