[reportlab-users] Reportlab compiling in Linux

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Wed May 2 05:01:44 EDT 2007

David Frank wrote:

> Hi,

> I am trying to use reportlab on Linux on a 64-bit Xeon processor. My System

> Administrator was on vacation for 5 weeks. During this time I learnt the

> tutorial completely and also designed several graphics on various web-pages.

> Now, my System Adnib tried to compile the software and ended up with a lot of

> errors. He now tells me that it is not possible to use reportlab and wants me to

> change the software. He blames it on bad documentation.

> I am a novice in Unix and I think he is yanking my chain and trying to avoid the

> fact that he does not know how to compile reportlab. I am in a lot of trouble

> now. I am working on a very tight schedule and I cannot afford to waste 5 weeks

> of work let alone the painstaking effort I put in the graphics. I am completely

> dejected by this. Is there anyone who can help me with this? Can anyone direct

> me towards a guide on compiling and/or running reportlab on a 64-bit processor.

> Are there any issues with reportlab and a 64-bit processor?

> I sincerely thank you for your efforts.

> Regards,

> David

Hi David, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Perhaps you could explain what you
mean by 'compile'? Did you manage to get reportlab to do what you want or not?
The only bits that might need compiling are the various C extensions that might
be required to produce bitmaps (or to accelerate the other bits of reportlab).
So far as I know the latest code doesn't break in 64 bit environments, but so
far I've only been able to build on 32 bit machines plus a single AMD64 freeBSD
system without any problems. Perhaps you could say what you're trying to achieve
and what environment you're using for the development?