[reportlab-users] Column widths when not specified

Dinu Gherman gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de
Fri Mar 16 03:57:26 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter:

> I have a table for which I did not specify the column widths. So I

> create two

> columns each with a flowable. When the table is rendered, it uses the

> full

> width of the frame. However, I would like the columns to be only the

> width of

> the widest flowable in the column. Is there a way to do that?

I posted a very similar question yesterday. I'm afraid your question
might contain the answer already. After tweaking my test sample (see
attached) I conclude that automatic column width spacing does not
work as soon as flowables (including Paragraphs) are used. If so,
then I guess the workaround is to declare the column widths manually.
Of course, then the question arrises if this cannot be automated?

Regards,

Dinu