[reportlab-users] Installing RenderPm on OSX

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 1 10:03:34 EST 2007

Dev Sen wrote:

> Robin,

> Two follow on questions:

> 1) Do you know how I can restrict the build to only use the python version

> on a specific path...

> 2) Any suggestions on resolving the second issue you identified, i.e.

> Finding the freetype library at runtime?

> Thanks for your help,

> Dev

OK I looked at our old Mac and this is how we built _renderPM and friends for
transfer to an arbitrary Mac.

1) Obtain latest freetype2

2) do the ./configure make dance with freetype2

3) If this is the box you plan to use renderPM with then it may be enough to
install freetype2 and try rebuilding renderPM.

4) Otherwise you need to make renderPM's setup.py point to the freetype build
area and ensure that you get a static build by using only the .a versions of the
built libraries.

5) You might also need to make sure PIL knows about freetype if you're going to
be using PIL in the same sort of way.

I'm sorry I don't know more about how to get the distutils/setup.py do the right
things about static libraries. The last time I did this on the mac I was using
direct compiles without a setup.py and I just re-use the scripts for building
the whole of python etc etc.