[reportlab-users] ReportLab and "compositing" features

Jon Bradley shiftedpixels at gmail.com
Fri Jul 13 07:38:48 EDT 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 2:26 PM, Jerome Alet wrote:

> If all your cards are the same, you'll use forms with ReportLab,

> calling the beginForm() and endForm() methods of your canvas once

> each, and define your card's layout between these calls, and

> repeatedly call the doForm() method to replicate the form.

That's good information. Seems the nice way to do it too.

But how about the whole "clipping mask" aspect of each of these forms?

Can I place any number of image and text elements in that form and
let them extend outside the boundary of that form and be clipped? I
can use PIL for cropping out images, but it would be much nicer to
write it natively to the PDF so that it can then be opened up in
something like Illustrator - with the clipping paths intact (I hope).
That allows an additional level of editing in odd cases where
something doesn't work out.

thanks again!

Jon