[reportlab-users] ReportLab and "compositing" features

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Thu Jul 12 14:26:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 02:16:22PM -0400, Jon Bradley wrote:

> Now, the PDF generation part I feel will be tricky. I'd like to know

> if the following is possible:

> 1. A content area defined as a canvas (say, a business card size area)

> 2. This canvas area acts as a clipping area for it's content - so

> that I can load and place images outside of the boundaries (so they

> bleed in).

> 3. Duplicate multiple canvases so that I can fill a page up that will

> match an avery template.

No you usually don't duplicate canvases, because the canvas is your
entire document.

If all your cards are the same, you'll use forms with ReportLab,
calling the beginForm() and endForm() methods of your canvas once
each, and define your card's layout between these calls, and
repeatedly call the doForm() method to replicate the form.

> I've seen a ton of examples, and can see how to create the PDFs with

> relative ease. The tricky part with this is that all the images (clip

> art - eps, jpg, or png) and the text fields are layered on top of one

> another (like a photoshop composite). On top of that, the fonts used

> will need to be pretty dynamic, though I've read that's as simple as

> modifying the fonts to work with reportlab.

I don't see any problem with this.

bye

Jerome Alet