[reportlab-users] Dimensions, line lengths

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Sat Jan 6 21:55:46 EST 2007

Andy Robinson wrote:

>> But I almost wish it hadn't. As I don't think I ever actually selected

>> these options in the print dialog, so they must be program defaults.

>> So if I want things to print true for my users I now must find a way

>> to touch every machine and make sure these particular "helpful"

>> options are turned off.

>> I'm off to investigate GhostScript and see if it is a bit more

>> transparent. Wish me luck.

> If Ghostscript does the job, please let us know!

I downloaded and installed v8.54 of the Windows GPL version of GhostScript.
Initial results were excellent. Rendering seems very true and (unlike Adobe)
there are excellent command-line options to shut it up and make it "just run".
Here's the command:

"C:\Program Files\gs\gs8.54\bin\gswin32c.exe"
-sDEVICE=mswinpr2 -dNoCancel
-sOutputFile="%printer%\\Cmh\Brother HL-1440 series"
-dBATCH -dNOPAUSE drawline.pdf

It works great on a local printer. On a network printer it goes weird. As long
as I specify the *wrong* printer name, it pops up a dialog box, I select the
correct printer and it prints beautifully. But if I give it the correct
printer name as above, it appears to print, the print job shows up in the
output queue. But nothing ever appears at the printer. And no error logs on
either the client or server. So I'm stumped at the moment. So close but yet so
far away...

> There is a utility here for Windows which does command line printing and

> claims to have command line options to set the scale to 100%; see PDF

> Multi-Print and look in the back page or two of the user guide.

> http://www.acrobotics.net/

Thanks. Checking it out right now.

There seem to be a goodly number of commercial solutions available. But I need
something I can redistribute and I don't want to sell one of my children to
finance it.
http://www.verypdf.com/pdfprint/index.html
http://www.pdf-tools.com/asp/products.asp?name=PRNS&type=shell

Michael