[reportlab-users] Dimensions, line lengths

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Fri Jan 5 21:01:37 EST 2007

Tim Roberts wrote:

> Michael Hipp wrote:

>> The program below is a hacked-up version of what appears in the 2.0

>> User's Guide section 5.2 (p. 56). I'm trying to draw lines that start

>> 0.25" from the left and extend 7.0" on US letter. The key lines are

>> flagged with #***. But on screen and on print the line starts some

>> 0.55" from the left and the line is only 6.55" long. What am I doing

>> wrong?

> You are almost certainly selecting "auto-rotate and center" or "fit to

> printable area" when you print your page from the Acrobat Reader. When

> I print your PDF without any scaling, the lines start at 0.25" and

> extends exactly 7".

Yes. That fixes it. Thank you.

But I almost wish it hadn't. As I don't think I ever actually selected these
options in the print dialog, so they must be program defaults. So if I want
things to print true for my users I now must find a way to touch every machine
and make sure these particular "helpful" options are turned off.

I'm off to investigate GhostScript and see if it is a bit more transparent.
Wish me luck.

Thanks,
Michael