[reportlab-users] Platypus PageTemplates & Frame selection

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Sun Feb 25 05:45:04 EST 2007

Scott SA wrote:

> Hi,

> Is it the case that platypus is expecting the page template to be chosen by

> appending "NextPageTemplate('<page_id>'" then selecting the frame by

> handle_nextFrame('<frame_id>')"?

> If so, that's cool. If not, then how?

Each template has a list of frames which are normally used in order. We
use special flowables to alter the normal behaviour.

> If I have a sequence of frames that I _don't_ want to be automatically

> populated, will I have to overshadow that functionality somehow or is there a

> bit-o-magic I'm missing here?

> Just a thought, but if I were to have a page template that had three frames I

> wanted to have text flow across (automagically - technical description for

> sure!), then swapped to a different template for the frames I didn't want to

> the flow functionality to occur (then be sure to not give too much content).

> Would this be the way to solve the problem at hand?

I think you need to modify the order in which flowables are popped off
the story to do what you want or perhaps specially treat the flowables
that you want in the abnormal frames. Typically we handle only flowing
stuff in the story and have special page decoration handled in the
onpage functions.