[reportlab-users] Bug in SimpleDocTemplate?

Michael Hipp Michael at Hipp.com
Thu Feb 1 18:56:26 EST 2007

Tim Roberts wrote:

> With GhostScript, I guess you would use the printer's own dialog to

> change the printer to landscape mode.

That precludes the possibility of programmatic printing (no operator
intervention). If I want the user to have to go clickety-click, I may as well
use Adobe.

>> Surely Reportlab should be able to produce output where the document and paper

>> match.

> It's not up to ReportLab. ReportLab doesn't have a CLUE about the

> printer that will eventually be used, nor what kind of paper is in it,

> nor what orientation it might be expecting. Acrobat knows some of that,

> but the rest is embedded in the printer driver. ReportLab produces PDF

> output in a particular orientation. That's all it can do. Acrobat is

> responsible to send that output to a printer. The printer is configured

> by the driver to print in either portrait or landscape. That setting is

> part of the printer's property pages.

Then how do documents like this one...

http://tnerual.eriogerg.free.fr/vimqrc.pdf

have a "document" and "paper" that match orientation?

Thanks,
Michael