[reportlab-users] Example Code

Jorge Godoy jgodoy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 21:20:45 EDT 2007

Stephan Richter wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 18:38, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> > Yeah, the same is true here. We mainly use RML. And if you need RML

>> > examples, I think there are a few more or less hidden around there.

>> Thanks, Stephan. Our data are in database tables (SQLite3 in one

>> application, PostgreSQL-8.2.x in another), and converting them to XML is

>> an unnecessary step.

> I disagree. If the purpose of the PDF is just to create a simple table for

> the data, then fine. But if you want to have some nicer layout, RML makes

> your life *much* simpler, since it allows a designer to work at the

> template and is much easier to maintain. You would not create HTML all in

> Python either, or?

I second that.

We're producing very nice reports and documents with data coming from
PostgreSQL 8.2.3 here.

The key thing was writing a template -- I use Kid and Genshi with
TurboGears -- and layouting things where they should be.

What was a nightmare with CSS and cross browser compatibility came easily
with PDF + RML + z3c.rml.

--
Jorge Godoy <jgodoy at gmail.com>