[reportlab-users] ZapfDingbats icon problem

Dave S report at pusspaws.net
Sat Nov 25 03:48:58 EST 2006

On Saturday 25 November 2006 02:23, François Wautier wrote:

> Hi Guys,

> I could not visualise the attached file with acrobat reader on my Linux

> box. It complains about the file being corrupted.

> With kpdf, I can see the file but I get the dollowing error message

> Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...

> Error (1432): Missing 'endstream'

> Error (1432): Missing 'endstream'

> With kghostview, I can see but it also complains about an XREF problem.

> So... What version of reportlabs are you using?... there may be a bug here!

> Cheers,

> François

OK I have re-run everything from the top and documented it ....

Windows XP fully updated,
Unzipped from reportlab 2.0

I can confirm that abode reader can view the zapfdingbats fonts in the
standardfonts_winansi.pdf all AOK

Ran the following test code on XP ...

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: iso8859_1 -*-

from reportlab.lib.units import inch
from reportlab.lib.pagesizes import A4
import datetime, ConfigParser, os
from reportlab.pdfgen import canvas

from reportlab.pdfgen.canvas import Canvas
c = Canvas('temp.pdf')
c.setFont("ZapfDingbats", 20)
y = 700

line = u'\u0034 test'
print line
uniLine = line
#uniLine = unicode(line, 'latin-1')
c.drawString(100, y, uniLine.strip())

c.save()

XP adobe reader reads black squares ... as before
moved it to my Linux system via samba,

but now Linux adobe reader & KPDF both read black squares where as previously
KPDF rendered correctly.

No matter what I try I cannot get even KPDF to render correctly. I have been
playing with the code but comparing it with the code from previous emails it
is effectively the same.

This is strange ?

I guess the question is - if you guys execute the above on your XP machines
can your adobe reader see it ? (Please don't discount my codeing ! - unicode
& utf-8 are all new to me)

If not what code on your machines successfully generates a zapfdingbats
character ?

From an earlier email - the zapfdingbats characters are held as purely 'ascii'
(probarbly wrong word) values in the PDF, my XP adobe reader can read
standardfonts_winansi.pdf including zapfdingbats all AOK so it must know the
font and the render the 'ascii' value AOK.

So ... the problem is my PDF or the way I am generating my PDF not the adobe
reader ?