[reportlab-users] Right to Left support

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Mon May 1 17:58:45 EDT 2006

soosho wrote:
> Hi
>
> hope u r all fine.
>
> as I understood, ReportLab does not support Persian(farsi)
> Language(center asian language).
> the language is right-to-left
> I wanna know,
>
>   1. what should I do to add persian support to ReportLab?
>   2. is it passible in resonable time?

You would need to produce a new paragraph class, or paragraph
wrapping algorithm, which could render right-to-left.  We will do our
best to help you and anyone else working on this as there are frequent
demands for middle eastern languages.

Ury Marshak produced some working code several years ago for Hebrew
which is here:
    http://www.reportlab.com/ftp/rtl/

However we never managed to merge this with other concerns and
developments in our code, and our own paragraphs have evolved since then.

If you want to roll your sleeves up and try, we welcome help!
I urge you to look at the code on the trunk of our repository, which is
about to get labelled 'ReportLab 2.0' "any day now" - we're just arguing
over the documentation and what promises we make about Unicode ;-)

The code is now utf8 throughout so it's trivial to convert to Unicode
for wrapping, and has a basic Asian text wrapping algorithm; the code
base is in use for a pretty huge multilingual
project now with Japanese and 5 European languages.  The latter is no
use for RTL, but it does show you how to make the wrapping 'pluggable';
we have a ParagraohStyle property 'wordWrap' which can be set to 'CJK'
(Chinese-Japanese-Korean) to invoke their word wrapping, and one could
also imagine a value of 'RTL' to invoke an alternative right-to-left
wrapping algorithm.

We do not yet have a generic all-languages-of-the-world-in-one-paragraph
Unicode wrapping algorithm.  That's a bigger project and I would only
want to tackle it if some people could do RTL in isolation first.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson
ReportLab Europe Ltd.