[reportlab-users] Styles and Character Spacing

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Jun 8 14:10:56 EDT 2006

Tom Wiebe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> New to ReportLab and loving it. Very nice piece of work. One thing I'm
> getting hung up on, however, and I'm sure it's quite simple and I'm
> just braindead.
>
> How does one set kerning in a style sheet? I read the stuff in the
> manual about setCharSpace and setWordSpace but, need to get this into
> a Platypus style and can't seem to figure out how.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
> Tom Wiebe
I'm pretty sure we don't do kerning. It's a matter of speed; our current line
breaker is in python and that limits the amount of work it can do. So
kerning/hyphenation gets left off. Effectively we are working with "words" and
kerning needs glyph examination which would be a big slowdown.

There is some C code that could be used to do this in an extension, but it needs
some work to get it in shape for our purposes.