[reportlab-users] Re: quick hack on para.py

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jul 4 11:42:30 EDT 2006

Dirk Holtwick wrote:
 > Hi Robin,
 >
 > finally I found your mail. Sorry, it thought it would be about another
 > issue on the reportlab mailing list.
 >
 > The patch works fine for UTF8 and Unicode for my test case. German
 > Umlauts and some letters with accents work also fine. But the Euro
 > symbol (€) results in a black box.
 >
 > I attach my test suite to this mail.
 >
 > Bye,
 > Dirk
the important one (at least for most Europeans) grrhhhhhh. I looked this up.
According to http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/ADOBE/symbol.txt the
EURO SIGN has a codepoint 0x20ac, but your code is assuming 0x80 somehow. I
think the latin1 is wrong. Things work for me if I use cp1252 throughout.

I have added the euro as a predefined entity. That will at least allow you to do
  €