[reportlab-users] drawImage does not work with file pointer

John Keubler jtkeubler at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 02:56:14 EST 2006

The following code does not work using a file pointer.  It does work if the file name is
  hardcoded directly into the drawImage function.  I need to use a file pointer because
  I am going to use the urlopen function to get images from a website.  I don't want to
  save the pictures to my hard drive, I would rather use a memory stream object.  I
  have tryed wraping the file pointer in a stringio function but this does not work either.
  The image is a jpeg file.
  Here is the code along with the error message:

  # this does not work
  f = file("c:/tmpf.img", "rb")
  a = c.drawImage(f, 3*inch, 3*inch, width=1*inch, height=1*inch, mask=None)
print a

  # this does work
  f = file("c:/tmpf.img", "rb")
  a = c.drawImage("c:/tmpf.img", 3*inch, 3*inch, width=1*inch, height=1*inch, mask=None)
  print a

  #error message
  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:/Python24/pdftest4.py", line 37, in -toplevel-
    a = c.drawImage(f, 3*inch, 3*inch, width=1*inch, height=1*inch, mask=None)
  File "C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\reportlab\pdfgen\canvas.py", line 570, in drawImage
    rawdata = image.getRGBData()
AttributeError: 'file' object has no attribute 'getRGBData'