[reportlab-users] ReportLab vs LaTex

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Thu Dec 28 18:13:43 EST 2006

Klaas Freitag wrote:

> However there are always downsides. For example I haven't found

> out yet how I get a printed carryover (not sure if the term is

> correct, hard to find out for non native speaker, german is

> 'Übertragssumme') from one page to another like this:

> 5. bla bla

> 4 Pcs. a 50 $ 200 $

> -------

> Page sum 200 $ ---------+

> ============ snip: Next Page =============== | goes here.

> Carryover: 200$ <--------+

> 6. Blub foo bar

> 1 Pcs. a 400 $ 400$

> ------

> Total 600$

> Thanks for any hints on that :-) I create a rml file with a home
> grown template system and call trml2pdf.

Neither have we ;-) RML does not have any ability to keep running
totals during formatting, and output extra blocks when page breaks
occur. We get somewhat closer with the new 'pto' tag (it stands for
"please turn over"), which can insert a block of content when pages
break, but I would be very surprised if Tiny RML supports this.

There has been quite a lot of need for such a feature this year. We need
a system of variables in Platypus and RML so it can keep track of
numbers, current chapter etc. and can automatically output content based
on this when the page breaks. Or, possibly we need smart tables which
know when they contain numbers. I'm hoping to do a release in Q1 and we
might tackle this.

- Andy