[reportlab-users] ReportLab vs LaTex

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Dec 28 12:38:07 EST 2006

François Pinard wrote:

> Hi, Warren, and gang.

> The last time I really looked into this, long ago, there were three

> basic areas where LaTeX (TeX, really) was quite competent:

> - ligatures

> - kerning

> - word segmentation

I would agree with that. The primary focus of TeX and LaTeX is beauty.
LaTeX has a vast set of rules that define what makes a manuscript
beautiful to human eyes. LaTeX will place each character, each
punctuation mark, each word, each box, each line, and each paragraph to
adhere to those rules, making for a consistent and attractive
manuscript. If you need to override those rules, you are in for a bumpy
ride.

ReportLab, on the other had, has only a rudimentary set of rules, but it
allows you to place your pieces of text and graphics very precisely, to
suit your particular needs.

Each one has its place. If I were writing a book or a research paper,
I'd use LaTeX. If I were creating a registration form or an inventory
report, I'd use ReportLab.

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.