[reportlab-users] non-hackable pdf files

Michael Trisko mtrisko at trisko.net
Tue Apr 25 15:59:05 EDT 2006

Another potential solution for you depending on your requirements would be to use digital signatures/PKI.  You've stated you want to prevent people from editing/hacking your PDF files.  As Andy/Robin have stated you can't really prevent it outright, but digital signatures would potentially make it evident that the file had been tampered with.

The basic gist would be that your PDF file would include a signature hash that matches the contents of the document and the private key used to generate the signature.  If someone modifies the file, they won't easily be able to generate a signature that would match both the modified contents and the private key that they don't have access to.  It wouldn't prevent changes, but you'd potentially have an easy way to verify whether or not the copy was changed.

There are a lot of options and technologies out there for digital signatures and PKI, and some are not always cost effective or feasible depending on your application, but the recent PDF standards do include some support for it, so that the signatures can be somewhat integrated into the document.

If you're really looking to make the files readable but non-modifiable, I think the best you could do would be to convert the PDF into something like a TIFF image file (or invert that and write graphics into your PDF), but even then you'd have graphics editors and optical character recognition to worry about, which is getting better all the time...it's Andy suggested it's really a losing battle.

Mike Trisko