[reportlab-users] Printing problems

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Fri Sep 16 03:37:30 EDT 2005

Mark Saward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having troubles with a pdf output I've created.  It's to print on sticker
> labels, each label being 38.1mm * 21.2mm.  When I print this, I need to turn
> off scaling, but then it prints perfectly into the boundaries of the
> stickers.

when you say scaling is this by the printer or by the print driver?

> However, I take this to other printers and suddenly it no longer prints
> correctly...offset, like the margins are not correct.  The interesting thing
> is, my script to generate the pdf is using exact measurements for the sticker
> width+height, the bottom of the page and the left of the page to the start of
> the stickers.  In other words, I use measurements to create the pdf, not
> trial and error to fit the printer that works.

different printers use different paper movements and it's observed that
the theoretical positioning is often not right.

> Why wouldn't this work?  Do some printers not print exactly?  I think that
> only 1/4 printers tried so far works correctly.
>
> The other question I have is if it's possible to specify within a pdf to
> disable scaling for a pdf by default?  It seems to use scaling as a default
> option.

It seems some printers/print processes have mechanisms for positioning
tray control etc etc using various annotations/comments embedded in the PDF.