[reportlab-users] Basic usage question

Kent Tenney ktenney at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:25:20 EDT 2005

Howdy,

I want to lay out business cards on letter size paper.
If the cards are vertical, 12 can fit on a page;
3 rows of 3.5" tall, 4 columns of 2" wide: 1/8" border.

This has led me to questions about how the coordinate system
works, the relationships between canvas, drawing, widget, group
and what can be placed on what.

I am sorry if there is documentation which covers these topics,
I haven't been able to find it.

Using the RLBusinessCard demo as a starting point
IE: a card as a horizontal widget.

Questions;

- it looks like I need to make 12 copies of the card widget
  and place them, I can't place the same widget in 12 places ... correct?

- how would I rotate the card 90 degrees and do the step and repeat?

- the User's Manual says a Drawing can be;
  "drawn directly on a Canvas with one line of code."
  I have been unable to discover what that line is.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Kent