[reportlab-users] Table width question

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Sat Oct 22 14:40:52 EDT 2005

Mauricio Tellez wrote:
> The amount of rows I need to put in the table are big, so, if I have more
> rows per page the final pdf will had fewer pages. Looking at your last
> email, I have two questions:
> 1. How reportlab calculate the size for a table? or maybe, how reportlab
> calculate the size for a widget? (i.e. frame, flowable, etc.)
> 2. how reportlab calculate the number of rows per page?
>
> Thnaks for you help.

Normally table row heights are either fixed by the user or if the height
is specified by None then the table calculates the height using the
height of the contents. The algorithm is complex and is defined by the
_calc_height method of the Table class in reportlab/platypus/tables.py.

Normally the row height can be reduced by specifying appropriate style
changes in the table style or by changing the height of the cell
contents. There is no magic scale factor for row height.