[reportlab-users] PyQt Visual Editor

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Mon Nov 28 15:45:16 EST 2005

Rajeev Joseph Sebastian schrieb:

>There is also an issue of licensing: PyQt is available only under 2 licenses:
>GPL and a paid commercial license. But it is well worth it. PyQt is also
>available for a majority of OS, and as you may know, Qt's strengths is its
>graphics capabilities (as evidenced by the various customer success stories
>on Trolltech's website [1]).

I don't want to start a flamewar here, but I think it is problematic for
open-source projects to depend on Qt if they want to reach a commercial
(and that often means closed-source) audience. I don't see a problem for
closed-source projects, because you just buy Qt like, say, Microsoft
Visual Studio or Intel CC, and be done with it. For GPL'd open-source
projects it isn't a problem either, since Qt itself can be licensed
under the GPL, problem solved.

The said report generator, on the other hand, would be a good candidate
for either BSD (in the spirit of ReportLab being BSD-like-licensed, like
Python) or LGPL, since that would allow incorporating the report editor
into closed-source apps. Unlike many apps, a report generator is ideal
to be incorporated into bigger projects, so the license really matters.
The Python community, unlike other open-source communities, has
traditionally been very friendly when it comes to tolerating
closed-source use of their libs. Even Skencil is LGPL (not GPL), which
is very uncommon for general application-type open source projects.

Of course there's the standard argument that "commercial entities can
still get a Qt license", but this hasn't worked well for other projects.
E.g., many argue that KDE has long been superior to Gnome in every
aspect, yet companies like Sun (Java Desktop), RedHat and Ximian (now
Novell) favor Gnome. It's not that they couldn't afford a site-license
for Qt (infact, they probably all have one already), but big companies
don't like to depend on small companies for their flagship products.

Markus