[reportlab-users] PyQt Visual Editor

Rajeev Joseph Sebastian rajeev_jsv at dinamis.com
Mon Nov 28 05:42:13 EST 2005

On Saturday 26 November 2005 16:08, Rajeev Joseph Sebastian wrote:
> After thinking a bit on the Visual editor, and the requirements of its core
> engine, I realised that one doesn't need pygtk/cairo or whatever to do this
> job: after all, we have a perfectly good graphics library ourselves -
> reportlab.graphics :)
>
> So taking this further, in about 5 minutes, I was able to come up with this
> screenshot (attached).

The next night, I took it even further. Attached is a zip file containing some
screenshots.

snapshot11.png: showing the window (i hope you notice the "easter egg" ;))
It also shows the point controls (to control the rect bottom-left and
top-right corners) and 2 number controls (to control rx, ry of the rect)

snapshot12.png: showing a circle, with a point control (for centre of circle),
and a range control (to control radius).

snapshot13.png: showing a line, with 2 point controls (for ... )

snapshot14.png: showing the file menu with exports to PNG, PDF and SVG

snapshot15.png: shows what happens when one of the number controls for the
rect is dragged (affects the ry .. ok ok, the number controls should be the
other way around :) )

snapshot16.png: what happens when the range control is dragged ?

snapshot17.png: changing line end point position

Salient features:
- *everything* is rendered using renderPM (including, btw, the point, number
and range controls.). So, WYSIWYG as far as you can get with RL rendering.
- exports to PNG/PDF/SVG etc are done purely by RL's graphics lib

If anyone wants the source, I'd be happy to provide it.

In my last email, I forgot to mention the acclaimed GUI designer of Qt, Qt
Designer. You will find it much more usable than wxPython's designer (I'm
talking abt one which I have used, called wxGlade). Qt's component
orientation will allow one to make highly reusable controls, such as the
controls seen in the screenshots above.

Regards,
Rajeev J Sebastian

Dinamis Corporation