[reportlab-users] Re: Visual Editor.

Rajeev Joseph Sebastian rajeev_jsv at dinamis.com
Thu Nov 24 16:15:31 EST 2005

On Friday 25 November 2005 02:23, Andy Robinson wrote:
> Andreas Kaiser wrote:
> > On the wxPython mailing list I have initiated a discussion for a
> > reporting framework based ONLY on wxPython. One point in this discussion
> > is the need for a visual editor for reporttemplates. RL is mentioned
> > often.
> >
> > So we can start dev. a visual report designer for both worlds: RL for
> > PDF based reports and a wxPython-only report printing framework.
> >
> > I think, that the future templates are usable in both worlds.
>
> Yes, that's very promising.  I'll sign up now.
>
> The thing which would get us to a flying start is to have a drawing
> package that lets us click, select and move objects (rectangles, strings
> etc.); and write new objects with more attributes and a properties
> dialog.  I never tried OGL - is that the right way to do it?
We are also investigating about the feasibility of a GUI for creating reports.
One would need access to a good 2d vector graphics lib just to get started.
(Pycairo+pygtk seems to be good enough, or maybe fork from skencil, etc).

However, due to constraints, we cannot really go that path yet ... (we are
using PyQt for our work).

Currently, we are very motivated to write this. We are collecting (internally)
the requirements for such a software. One thing that comes to mind is very
great flexibility ... a framework above the core RL engine.

Your thoughts would be welcome towards the creation of such a GUI.

Regards,
Rajeev J Sebastian

Dinamis Corporation
3266 Yonge Street, Suite 1419