[reportlab-users] LayoutError: Flowable to large when using multiBuild

John Pywtorak jpywtora at calpoly.edu
Mon Nov 14 15:15:19 EST 2005

Britt Hibbert wrote:

> Hi again all.
>
>  I am workin on adding a table of contents to my report. I can see that
> in order for the table of contents to work I need to call multiBuild
> instead of build on my doc template. I have added a multiBuild to my doc
> template that is identical to the build in SimpleDocTemplate, except
> that it calls BaseDocTemplate.multiBuild instead of build at the end of
> the method. When I call multiBuild instead of build, I get the following
> error:
>
>   File "doctemplate.py", line 586, in handle_flowable
>     raise LayoutError("Flowable %s too large on page %d" %
> (f.identity(30), self.page))
> LayoutError: Flowable <Table at 19270512 9 rows x 7 cols> with cell(0,0)
> containing
> '<Paragraph at 19020296>' too large on page 8
> When I comment out my bigger tables and images from being added to my
> Story, I do not get this error and the table of contents works
> perfectly. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help
> Britt Hibbert

The quick answer I thought of was that you need to implement your own
derived version of BaseDocTemplate, I think.  When I looked at the
multibuild routine I remember needing something that told it the build
was done and the only way to do it was my own implementation.  Now this
may be unreleated to your problem, but it is what came to mind without
further investigation myself.

Johnny P