[reportlab-users] [ANNOUNCE] grabslides v0.99

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Tue Nov 8 09:08:45 EST 2005

Hi there,

I'm pleased to announce that grabslides v0.99 is out.

grabslides is Free Software licensed under the terms of the GNU GPL.

This is a Python command line tool which can be used to automatically
capture frames from any Video4Linux device, or from any Axis TCP/IP
Camera Servers (http://www.axis.com)

grabslides can automatically generate PDF documents which contain
all the grabbed frames, with the help of the ReportLab Toolkit
(http://www.reportlab.org)

You can download it or see sample output from :

  http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/grabslides/

We use this software at the Medicine School, University of Nice-Sophia
Antipolis, to capture slides presented by teachers during the live
and on-demand audio+video broadcasts of courses. A SMIL generator, which
will be published later, ensures that both video and slides are properly
synchronized.

NB : the sample PDF document contains a frame grabbed from a camera,
but we usually capture frames from the output of an RGB to composite
converter, into which the VGA output of a PowerPoint/OpenOffice player is
plugged.

grabslides currently only works under *nix systems, although making
it work under another environment is certainely possible (but we have
no interest in doing so)

hoping you'll like this

bye

Jerome Alet