[reportlab-users] Can't find .pfb for face 'Times-Roman'

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Thu May 26 06:12:05 EDT 2005

I am trying out reportlab for the first time. I have succesfully
installed it on Windows XP.

So I am trying out the simple programme in the beginning of the user guide.

    from reportlab.lib import colors
    from reportlab.graphics.shapes import *
    d = Drawing(400, 200)
    d.add(Rect(50, 50, 300, 100, fillColor=colors.yellow))
    d.add(String(150,100, 'Hellø Wårld',
                 fontSize=18, fillColor=colors.red, font='rina'))

    # save to pdf
    from reportlab.graphics import renderPDF
    renderPDF.drawToFile(d, 'example1.pdf', 'My First Drawing')

    # save to png
    from reportlab.graphics import renderPM
    renderPM.drawToFile(d, 'example1.png', 'PNG')

When I try to save as png I get this (shortened) traceback:

    Warn: Can't find .pfb for face 'Times-Roman'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    reportlab.graphics.renderPM.RenderPMError: Can't
setFont(Times-Roman) missing the T1 files?

I have googled aroound and it seems that I am missing the 'Times-Roman'
file '_er_____.pfb'.

I have downloaded the latest version of Acrobat (7.01) but the file is
not in it's font path. Neither was it in the old 6.0 path. Or anywhere
else on my c: drive.

I cannot find the '_er_____.pfb' file on adobe.com, or anywhere else on
the web for that matter.

So I wonder if there is a workaround... to use another default font, to
set the font directly or where to download it from?

BTW: there is probably a bug in the documentation in the begining of the
user guide:

    from reportlab.graphics import renderPM
    renderPM.saveToFile(d, 'example1.png', 'PNG')

I believe it should be:

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/