[reportlab-users] Error messages with ghostscript

dick at kniep.nl dick at kniep.nl
Mon Mar 21 12:27:15 EST 2005

Hi list,

We have developed an extensive application where all (well most anyway) print
output is generated using Reportlab. Now this is done on Linux, and to print
the output, we use ghostscript to format the output for the printers. Now I
get the following error from ghostscript when I try to render the PDF.

gs -q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -dQUIET -sDEVICE=ijs -sIjsServer=hpijs
-sDeviceManufacturer="HEWLETT-PACKARD" -sDeviceModel="DESKJET 3820"
-sPAPERSIZE=a4
-r'300-sIjsParams=Quality:Quality=2,Quality:Colormode=2,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:Penset=2'
-dIjsUseOutputFD -sOutputFile='/tmp/test' /tmp/CVixportrait.pdf
Error: /rangecheck in .installpagedevice
Operand stack:
   --nostringval--   --dict:54/62(ro)(G)--   --nostringval--
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   13   %oparray_pop   1   3
%oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   1   3   %oparray_pop
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1068/1417(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:68/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
ESP Ghostscript 7.07.1: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

I have tested ghostscript with this command with some of the examples of
ghostscript and they worked correctly. So there is no problem with the
installation of Ghostscript.

The generated PDF has been included. It can be displayed using acrobat reader
without any problems. So there are a couple of possibilities:
1. The paragraphs have not been configured by me? (How can I find out where
the error is made?)
2. The generated PDF is not valid

I hope someone can help me.....

This is an e-mail message from Lindix. The information contained in this
communication is intended solely for use by the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed. Use of this communication by others is prohibited.
If the e-mail message was sent to you by mistake, please destroy it without
reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other person.
Sender accepts no liability for damage related to data and/or documents
which are communicated by electronic mail.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Dick Kniep
Lindix BV
De Specerij 30