[reportlab-users] Very very long document

Christian Junker christianjunker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 05:46:26 EST 2005

Just a side question:
How does reportlab generate tables (platypus)?
Do you construct it with pdfgen drawing methods, if so where is the
source file that builds up tables?
I am in the process of writing low-leve functions/methods of the
pdfgen module to produce cells and tables and would like to know more
about rendering tables.

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:03:03 -0800, andy at reportlab.com
<andy at reportlab.com> wrote:
> > thanks for your fast answer. Actually, I'm using one BIG table
> > which contains all the rows.
>
> > How could I optimize the rendering?
>
> Quick way: in reportlab/rl_config.py set
>    longTableOptimize =         1
>
> There will be some cases where it can no longer work out
> the optimal width for all columns - it will only take account
> of a few rows when doing column sizes.  And if you specify
> the colWidths then you should definitely do this.
>
> The other trick is to break apart tables into one
> table-let for each row or small group of rows.  People
> often go this way when they need group headers
> and footers.  But if the first one works, stick with
> it.
>
> - Andy

Best Regards
Christian Junker