[reportlab-users] RML and reportlab.graphics.charts

Andy Robinson andy at reportlab.com
Sun Jul 31 18:42:59 EDT 2005

> I'm looking to integrate the Zope Product RenderableCharts (my own) and
> RMLPageTemplate.
>
> I read the RML_UserGuide and found tags like <pageGraphics> with <image>.
> How can I integrate Graphics like reportlab.graphics.charts.* into RML ?

Robin Becker just went on vacation and I am leaving in a few hours,
so we may not be able to answer much until late August.

I will refer to my earlier position on Tiny RML, and by extension
RMLPageTemplate:
  http://two.pairlist.net/pipermail/reportlab-users/2005-May/003963.html

I doubt very much that it implements our <drawing> tag correctly,
but since the Tiny RML mailing list has been dead each time I tried it,
it's hard to find out.

The best example for how we integrate charts into our own Report Markup
Language (tm) product is the graphics test case, number 14 here:
   http://developer.reportlab.com/examples.html

The PDF output is highly readable and well commented, and shows
the strategy we picked for passing data through at runtime using
a new <drawing> tag, which is the interface to the graphics objects.

The <pageGraphics> tag is a hangover from the very first days of RML;
we added tags corresponding to canvas operations like <setFont>,
<rect>, so that non-Python developers or script could decorate pages.
It is little used and nothing to do with charts.  It does contain
an <image> tag though.

Best Regards,

Andy Robinson
CEO/Chief Architect