[reportlab-users] canvas background image - whites are not white

Roger Sillito w.r.sillito at ncl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 26 07:33:17 EDT 2005

Hi,
I have created a function which is to be passed into the onPage parameter of
a PageTemplate, which draws the background layout of my document.  Using
this, I want to setup a background graphic to appear on each page as
follows:

    graphic =
"/export/home/data/cluster/uploads/myprofile/Images/PP_bg_graphic.gif"
    scale = 0.2
    h = 1556
    w = 1639
    mask = [254,255, 254,255, 254,255]
    canvas.drawImage(graphic, 14.4, 108, width=w*scale, height=h*scale,
mask=mask)

The image itself is a 4 colour gif, with a white background.  I want the
background to blend seamlessly into the white canvas.  This seems to work
fine when I have the image on screen, however when I print the PDF the parts
of the image which should be white appear as a light grey.  I have tried
using a transparent gif, this also makes no difference.

I have tried this with a JPEG, where again I get the same problem when
printing.

I am using the following versions:

	PIL version 1.1.4
	ReportLab version 1.27
	Python 2.3.3 (#1, Feb  5 2005, 16:30:27) [GCC 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)] on
linux2

If anyone could offer me any advice as to where the problem may lie it would
be greatly appreciated!

cheers,
Roger.

Roger Sillito (Web Development Officer - MyProfiles)
School of Medical Education Development (FMSC)
The Medical School, Framlington Place           0191 246 4547
University of Newcastle upon Tyne       w.r.sillito at ncl.ac.uk
NE2 4HH                       http://www.myprofiles.ncl.ac.uk