[reportlab-users] two columns page

Nicholas Wieland nicholas_wieland at yahoo.it
Tue Aug 9 12:12:13 EDT 2005

Hi *, sorry for flooding the list, it seems that everyday I have a new problem :)

Now I'm battling with a two columns layout. What I understood is that I have to use frames inside PageTemplates (that's why I can't use SimpleDocTemplate, as suggested in another thread). I think I figured out how to do what I want, but for reasons I don't really understand, every flowable is added to the right frame, and the left frame is completely empty.

head = Frame (x1 = 0, y1 = defaultPageSize [1] - 160, width = defaultPageSize [0], height = 40)
sx_frame = Frame (x1 = 0, y1 = 80, width = defaultPageSize [0] // 2, height = defaultPageSize [1] - 120)
dx_frame = Frame (x1 = defaultPageSize [0] // 2, y1 = 80,
    width = defaultPageSize [0] // 2, height = defaultPageSize [1] - 120)

two_columns_page = PageTemplate (id = "twocol", frames = [dx_frame, sx_frame], onPage = pageHeader, onPageEnd = pageFooter)

report_doc = BaseDocTemplate (filename = ptf_code + reference_date.replace ('/', '') + '.pdf', pageTemplates = [cover_page, page, two_columns_page])

[...other things....]

report_story.append (NextPageTemplate ("twocol"))
report_story.append (PageBreak ())
report_story.append (Title ("Asset Allocation"))
report_story.append (Spacer (width = defaultPageSize [0], height = 30))
report_story.append (asset_nav_table)
report_story.append (asset_tth_table)

Title gets the full width of the page (as in head), asset_nav_table should be on the left, asset_tth_table on the right.
What kind of idiotic mistake have I done this time ?

TIA,
  ngw