[reportlab-users] another question on headers and footers

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Aug 8 13:20:33 EDT 2005

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:29:52 +0200 (CEST), Nicholas Wieland
<nicholas_wieland at yahoo.it> wrote:

>How can I pass arguments to onPage and onPageEnd callables ?
>For example, I need to display a date in my header, so actually I'm using a global  :(
>
>Suggestions ?

If it's just "today's date" you need, just import datetime or mxDateTime
or whatever, and call the functions in onPage.

If you have a specific string you need to pass, remember that a canvas
is just a Python object.  You can add your own attributes.

class myReport:
    def __init__(self):
        self.canvas = canvas.Canvas( ... )
        self.canvas.myExtraData = { 'today': "Today is the Day" }

def onPageEnd(canvas, doc):
    canvas.drawString( x, y, canvas.myExtraData['today'] )

Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.