[reportlab-users] Computing chart size

Johan Paul Glutting reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:11:57 +0200

Sorry, these are the relevant imports:

from reportlab.graphics.charts.textlabels import Label
from reportlab.graphics.charts.legends import Legend, LineLegend
from reportlab.graphics.charts.linecharts import HorizontalLineChart,
SampleHorizontalLineChart
from reportlab.graphics.shapes import Drawing
from reportlab.graphics.widgets.markers import makeMarker
from reportlab.graphics.widgets.grids import ShadedRect

that will also tell you which modules containt the relevant functions.

I see what you mean about the width. I don't have that problem, since I
am doing five-year periods and I have horizontal space to spare. My
vertical axis does change a lot - I have two charts from my development
dataset, and they range from 0-400 and 0-3000, respectively. I just let
them compress or not. You would probably have to do some calculations
based on your data to adjust the width, based on the length of your
inner sequences (for example, len(data[0]) ). I don't know if there is
an easy way to determine the size of the drawing you need. I had to do
some simple calculations to leave space for the legend at the bottom, so
you should be able to determine the ammount of horizontal space (in
pixels) that you want to devote to each category, and multiply by the
number of categories to get the horizontal width of the chart (and the
drawing, since I don't think you need to have a buvver, unless you want
a border). Add a little for the labels on the Y axis. Not sure how much,
you will have to try that yourself. The first thing might be to
calculate the largest drawing that will fit on your page, and then work
down from there, subtract what you need for the labels, and then the
rest of the space is used by the graph...

This all assumes that the legend goes under the graph (like mine) and
not on the side ...

Cheers,

JP

En/na Vladimir Prus ha escrit: