[reportlab-users] Computing chart size

Johan Paul Glutting reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 04 Oct 2004 16:34:12 +0200

Vladimir,

You can try this function I am using to generate graphs. It just uses a
fixed size (which is probably what you want, since your page is always
going to be the same size), but you can pass in the size you want
specifically. It has some settings that are what I want for all my
charts, and these cannot be changed (like the filled diamond, but you
could pass that in as well).

It has a nice function (well, I like it, anyway ;-) that calculates a
"ceiling" for the data, so that the data points are not plotted right on
the top of the y axis, no matter what your scale is (at least it has
worked for the data that I have thrown at it).

This is specific to horizontal line charts, but it should not be too
hard to tweak:

    def hlinechart(self, data, cats, llabels=[], dw=400, dh=200, lh=30,
vmax=99, bgcolor='lemonchiffon', sep=0.5):
        D = Drawing(dw, dh)
        lc = HorizontalLineChart()
        lc.data = data
        lc.categoryAxis.categoryNames = cats
        lc.width = dw
        lc.height = dh - lh
        lc.fillColor = colors.toColor(bgcolor)
        lc.strokeColor = colors.black
        lc.strokeWidth = 0.5
        # Put in a function to calculate the vmax directly from the data ...
        if vmax==0:
            pass
        elif vmax==99:
            import math
            ltmp = []
            for lst in data: ltmp += lst
            ltmp.sort()
            sn = "%e" %(ltmp.pop())
            smant, sexp = sn.split('e+')
            mant, exp = float(smant), float(sexp)
            vmax = int(math.ceil(mant)*(10**exp))
            lc.valueAxis.valueMax = vmax
        else:
            lc.valueAxis.valueMax = vmax
        # --------------------------------
        lc.valueAxis.valueMin = 0
        lc.valueAxis.strokeWidth = 1
        lc.valueAxis.gridStrokeWidth = 0.1
        lc.valueAxis.visibleGrid = 1
        lc.valueAxis.gridStrokeColor = colors.cornflower
        # --------------------------------
        lc.categoryAxis.strokeWidth = 1
        #lc.categoryAxis.gridStrokeWidth = 0.25
        #lc.categoryAxis.visibleGrid = 1
        #lc.categoryAxis.gridStrokeColor = colors.black
        # --------------------------------
        lc.lines.symbol = makeMarker('FilledDiamond')
        lc.lineLabelFormat = '%s'
        lc.x = 0
        lc.y = lh
        legend = LineLegend()
        legend.alignment = 'right'
        legend.x = 0
        legend.y = 0
        legend.dxTextSpace = 3
        leglabels = []
        for i, label in enumerate(llabels):
            leglabels.append((lc.lines[i].strokeColor, label))
        legend.colorNamePairs = leglabels
        D.add(lc)
        D.add(legend)
        s = Spacer(0.5*cm, sep*cm)