[reportlab-users] pythonpoint and unicode?

Marius Gedminas reportlab-users@reportlab.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 01:33:56 +0300

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 10:30:27AM -0600, Manic Miner wrote:
>  I am trying to automatically generate a printable(pdf) version of a
> dynamic web page with text from a database, in unicode format (the aim
> being of having the output independent of the language used in the
> html file).

(I wrapped your 81-character wide lines to a more sensible 70 characters)

>  I expected python(point) to be the ideal solution given the fact that
> it supports unicode, but there seems no way to get text in eg russian
> or hebrew to display correctly. pythonpoint doesn't support ttf files
> (I think), so I tried to convert the Arial and Lucida Unicode windows
> fonts using ttf2pt1 (gnuwin32 package).

You're on the wrong track here -- Type1 fonts will not help you.
Reportlab supports UTF-8, but with TrueType fonts only (at least
currently).

As far as I understand, PythonPoint is built over Platypus, Reportlab's
text layout engine, and Platypus does support UTF-8.  I've never
actually used PythonPoint, so I cannot help you with the details.
Maybe someone else can give you an example?  Even if PythonPoint didn't
currently support UTF-8, it should be relatively easy to add that
support.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
99 little bugs in the code,