[reportlab-users] RE: Emailing Corrupting reportlab PDFs

Fri, 28 May 2004 08:52:23 +0100

post@nlhas.no wrote:
> I have a feeling of deja vu with regard to this thread -- about 12 months back? But I've never experienced this problem and can't find the references.
>
> I think the solution suggested then was to put "something" in the file that would force Outlook and other encoders that look at content rather than file extension to see the file as binary.
>
> I would guess a comment line with something obviously non-ascii at the start of the file wouldn't harm anything, would eliminate the problem for those who are experiencing it and could (should?) be hardcoded into ReportLab (switchable?)?
>
> pm

..... We have had an explicit piece of 8'bit stuff in a comment in line
2 of every PDF we produce. Unfortunately that may not be enough to
inform outlook that this should be treated as binary. Mike tells me it
may be a statistical approach that's used by outlook. Certainly page
compression makes PDF look more 'binary', but who can guess what
M$oftware does.